Sunday 2 June 2013

Here Comes the Summer Sun

They say that when one door closes another one opens. I think it could be said this is true. I've closed the door on my cold and snowy life in Grenoble and opened another to the beautiful and sunny town of Sarlat-la-Caneda in the Dordogne region. If I died here, I'd die happy. Old stone farm cottages and  houses, hills and castles as far as they eye can see, FOIS GRAS(!) and a swimming pool literally a couple of steps from my bed. A girl could get used to this!

I've been here a month (Wow, time flies when you're having fun!) and have fully settled into a routine with the family and children. I have a pretty sweet deal going on: wake up, get dressed, drive into town for lunch at the family's restaurant, return home, sleep in the sun (when its out), wait for children to come home from school, cook tea, put children to bed. Boom! The family's restaurant is amazing. I aim to eat everything on the menu whilst I'm here, and I'm already well on my way to completing my life goal of getting fat on good food. Hopefully the weather will pick up soon properly so I can go swimming on a daily basis and not feel too guilty about eating my weight in foie gras.

I have Sundays and Mondays "off" as the parents close the restaurant. I feel very much part of the family and look forward to these days as much as the children I think as I lvoe spending time with everyone just chilling out. A couple of weeks ago we went to Castelnaud for lunch on the banks of the Dordogne and then visited a coulple of Castles which I'm looking forward to going back to when i have the time and the weather is a bit nicer too. The whole summer is going to be AWESOME!

Life is pretty sweet right now.  As I write this post I'm sat chilling, watching some French TV after a day in the sun with friends at a BBQ. There was plenty of meat of true "MAN" proportions, bread, some of the best brie I have ever eaten in my life, wine was flowing as freely as conversation (which I managed to follow!!) and even the stereotypical snails (although these were the sea kind and much more tasty than their land loving cousins.) Not only was I complimented on my French speaking skills, I was praised for enjoying my meat as close to mooing as is possible and still calling it "cooked", eating cheese until it came out of my ears, and eating the sea-snails. Either I'm AWESOME, or the French have really low expectations and ideas about the English. Or both. ;) Oh, and the freshly picked cherries from the tree in the garden. Actual heaven on Earth!


When life is this good, it's hard to think about returning to England and all that I'm "missing" out on there. In saying that, I am looking forward to getting back to university to finish my studies and take one step closer to becoming a teacher. I'm looking forward to being able to talk to my boyfriend on the phone and not worry about how much it is costing me. More than that, I'm looking forward to seeing the bestest boyfriend a girl could ever wish to fall in love with a little more often than 3 times in a year. Seriously Boss, you're amazing. Thank you so much for supporting my dream and encouraging me to stay out here longer than strictly necessary so I can make the most of the language. Thank you for being you. I'm looking forward to spending a WHOLE DAY with a very special little Moo, who I miss muchly. Millie, beg your dad to get that camera sorted!!! I miss your face! :) I promise, we will have our day when I get back!! Also looking forward to getting back to start kicking a very crazy, but oh so lovely family into touch ready for them to take national titles! So Sarah, Julie, Chloe and Emily get ready! Cause I'm gonna be seeing you all very soon!! ;) The date for your calendars is the 4th September. Tickets are booked and paid for, and it'll be back to reality with a bump. Millie, put it on your calendar!! As of 2/6/13 that 93 days away!! I'm kinda excited for this. My brother and his gorgeous girlfriend have agreed to come and meet me in Paris and we're going to spend 3 days there sightseeing and generally catching up before they help me lug a years worth of luggage home on the Eurostar. I am expecting a full on "Welcome home French Focker" FockFest as well. No pressure. :p

But for now, here's to the rest of the summer. May yours be as exciting as mine!



3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/6/13

    Proud to see you are experimenting with the local food!!! Foie gras! Yummy!! Looks like you are having a fab time and the only way to eat meat is if it's still mooing! Kpnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely fabulous! especially because my name is in it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol & Millie6/6/13

    Hi hunni. Millie has just read your blog!!!! She is jealous of all the food that u are eating lol. 'i want to try snails' is now wot i am being told lol. As u can also guess we are now on count down for the next 80 odd days until u return :) She is missing u loads and her little face lit up as u remembered your 'day' together (no amount of me telling her made her light up like that did) She sends lots of love, hugs and kisses from both her and Mustard and will proceed to pester Darren bout the camera :)
    Can u inbox me your addy on fb as i seem to have lost it and i know she has started a letter for u (found it in her school bag on tuesday!!!!) Stuff school work.........i'll write a letter to Lotte lol.
    Take care and we'll chat soon. Love n hugs from us all :) x

    ReplyDelete